In the Santa Lucia Mountains of California on a hilltop overlooking the Pacific Ocean, craftsmen labored nearly 28 years to create a magnificent estate of 165 rooms and 127 acres of gardens, terraces, pools and walkways. Its rooms were furnished with and impressive collection of Spanish and Italian antiques and art. Its name is La Cuesta Encantada-"The Enchanted Hill".
Better knows as Hearst Castle, it was once the home of newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst. Today it is a State Historical Monument, its richness and beauty preserved by the California Park Service.
The Castle is open for tours daily, except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Four daytime tours and one evening tour are available. All tours include a half mile walk and 150 to 400 stairs. Each daytime tour takes about one hour and 45 minutes, including bus trips to and from the Visitor Center. Tour Number One is recommended for first-time visitors.
Tours depart from the Visitor Center by the bus time printed on the ticket. An audio tape program provides background information during the 5 mile trip to the Castle.
Purchase your tickets at the Cambria Chamber of Commerce (805)-927-3624
or stop by the office at 767 Main Street. Open daily from 9am to 5pm.
Cambria traditions include the 4th of July picnic and fireworks display at Shamel Park and Pinedorado, the annual Labor Day weekend parade and fair, which originated in 1948 and draws tens of thousands of visitors each year.