Cambria Entertainment
Central Coast > Cambria > Entertainment

Cambria Entertainment

Historic Tour

What's in a Name?

It took almost a decade for Cambria to settle on a name. In 1869, after going by Slabtown, Rosaville, San Simeon and Santa Rosa, the name Cambria was officially adopted. An amusing controversy continues over the correct pronunciation of Cambria. Visitors and newcomers usually call it Came-bria, while most residents agree on Camm-bria.

Cambria Through the Years

Cambria was settled in the early 1860s, with the town's center located in what is now East Village. By the 1880s Cambria was the second largest town in the county, with an active center of shipping, mining, dairy farming, logging, and ranching. In 1894, railroad lines were extended into the San Luis Obispo from the south, resulting in the decline of coastal shipping and the isolation of Cambria. It was more than a quarter century before the first improved road to Cambria was completed. In 1927, the Cambria Pines Lodge was built and a large tract of land called Cambria Pines was subdivided into small residential lots. Today tourism is the town's main industry.

Cambria traditions include the 4th of July picnic and fireworks display at Shamel Park and Pinedorado, the annual Labor Day weekend parade and fair, which originated in 1948 and draws tens of thousands of visitors each year.



Live Entertainment in Cambria

Cambria Pines Lodge, Burton Dr., 927-4200
Hamlet at Moonstone gardens Hwy 1, just north of town 927-3535
Molly's Coffee Den, Main St., 927-8941
West End Bar & Grill, Main St., 927-5521
Pewter Plough Playhouse
Enjoy an Evening or a Matinees Show in this historical, quaint, cozy, theater. Celebrating 18 years of stage production. For tickets and/or schedule of upcoming performances, call (805)-927-3877 or write to P.O. Box 1776, Cambria CA, 93428. The theater is located at 828 Main Street, West Village, Cambria.

Moonstone Beach

Search for moonstones, shells, California jade and other semiprecious stones from the mouth of Santa Rosa Creek north to San Simeon.

Nit Wit Ridge

A found-material mansion you won't believe. Built by Art Beale, known as "Captain Nit Wit" and "Doctor Tinkerpaw". Designated as an Historical Monument and National Folk Art. On Hillcrest Drive north of Main Street in West Village.

Old Cambria Jail House

Located next to Allied Arts Schoolhouse Gallery on Main Street.

Day Use Parks

In Cambria, Leffingwell Landing, at the north end of Moonstone Beach Drive, offers magnificent coastline views, picnic tables, restrooms, beach access, Shamel Park, adjacent to Moonstone Beach on Windsor ,has a large, protected grassy area, playground, horse shoe pit, and BBQ's for day use. Swimming pool open in Summer. In San Simeon Cove, William R. Hearst State Beach has a wide sandy beach , picnic areas, and year round sport fishing.

Fishing

William R Hearst State Beach, just seven miles north or Cambria, has pier fishing and fishing party boats available for full or half-day trips. Winter Whale watching excursions are also available. Fishing licenses available. Rock and surf fishing is permitted along Moonstone Beach at various locations.



Historic Tour

What's in a Name?

It took almost a decade for Cambria to settle on a name. In 1869, after going by Slabtown, Rosaville, San Simeon and Santa Rosa, the name Cambria was officially adopted. An amusing controversy continues over the correct pronunciation of Cambria. Visitors and newcomers usually call it Came-bria, while most residents agree on Camm-bria.

Cambria Through the Years

Cambria was settled in the early 1860s, with the town's center located in what is now East Village. By the 1880s Cambria was the second largest town in the county, with an active center of shipping, mining, dairy farming, logging, and ranching. In 1894, railroad lines were extended into the San Luis Obispo from the south, resulting in the decline of coastal shipping and the isolation of Cambria. It was more than a quarter century before the first improved road to Cambria was completed. In 1927, the Cambria Pines Lodge was built and a large tract of land called Cambria Pines was subdivided into small residential lots. Today tourism is the town's main industry.

Cambria traditions include the 4th of July picnic and fireworks display at Shamel Park and Pinedorado, the annual Labor Day weekend parade and fair, which originated in 1948 and draws tens of thousands of visitors each year.